ITIL® Foundation Certification
ITIL v3 Foundation introduced candidates to the key elements, concepts and terminology found in ITIL. On 28 February 2019 AXELOS launched the ITIL 4 Foundation certification level.
The ITIL v3 Foundation examination in English only has now been discontinued (as of 1 July 2021).
The ITIL 4 Foundation certification is designed as an introduction to ITIL 4 and enables candidates to look at IT service management through an end-to-end operating model for the creation, delivery and continual improvement of tech-enabled products and services.
The certification can help:
- Those who require a basic understanding of the ITIL framework
- Those who want to understand how ITIL can be used to enhance IT service management
- IT professionals or others working within an organization that has adopted ITIL.
However, the ITIL Foundation certification can benefit anyone who has an interest in IT service management.
ITIL 4 Foundation candidates will have an understanding of the following:
- A holistic approach to the facilitation of co-creation of value with customers and other stakeholders in the form of products and services
- The guiding principles of ITIL 4
- The four dimensions of Service Management
- Key concepts from Lean, Agile, DevOps, and why these are important to deliver business value
- How ITIL practices described in ITIL 4 will maintain the value and importance provided by the current ITIL processes, whilst at the same time expand to be integrated to different areas of service management and IT, from demand to value.
ITIL Foundation training
Typically, classroom training for ITIL Foundation lasts two and a half days and the examination takes place at the end of the training (this will vary depending on the training provider). You can also self-study for the Foundation exam and you may also choose to take training in another format, such as distance learning. Training is delivered by AXELOS' Accredited Training Organizations, who set their own rates. Use our training search to find an ITIL training provider.
To take the ITIL Foundation exam, no prerequisite is required.
ITIL Foundation exam format
- Multiple choice examination questions
- 40 questions
- 26 marks required to pass (out of 40 available) - 65%
- 60 minutes’ duration
- Closed book.
Try a sample paper
I've passed my ITIL Foundation exam – what next?
One year's subscription to My ITIL is included with your ITIL Foundation exam. My ITIL is an online subscription to the latest resources and content helping you to apply what you have learnt during the ITIL Foundation exam to the workplace, as well as developing your skills and knowledge in line with future innovations in IT service management.
My ITIL gives you access to:
- Online subscription to various ITIL publications and templates to help you progress your ITIL journey
- Exclusive white papers
- CPD tools to map out a professional development path
- Professional endorsement through a digital badge aligned to your ITIL Foundation certificate.
Successful candidates will be contacted by AXELOS with a discount code. To be contacted, candidates must have opted in to AXELOS’ Successful Candidates Register upon exam registration. If you have any queries, please email [email protected].
After earning your ITIL Foundation certificate, you can advance your ITSM career via the ITIL 4 Managing Professional and ITIL 4 Strategic Leader certifications. Use our ITSM Careers Path to help you plan your progress.