ITIL Foundation Certification
The Foundation exam is the entry level certification and offers you a general awareness of the key elements, concepts and terminology used in the ITIL® service lifecycle, including the links between lifecycle stages, the processes used and their contribution to service management practices.
This certification is primarily aimed at:
- Those who require a basic understanding of the ITIL framework
- Those who need understanding of how ITIL can be used to enhance IT service management within an organization
- IT professionals or others working within an organization that has adopted and adapted ITIL and who need to be informed about, or contribute to, ongoing service improvement.
However, the ITIL Foundation certification is open to and can benefit anyone who has an interest in the subject.
Holders of an ITIL Foundation certification are likely to require further guidance before being able to apply the ITIL practices for IT Service Management (ITSM) to professional projects or situations.
- Multiple choice examination questions
- 40 questions
- 26 marks required to pass (out of 40 available) - 65%
- 60 minutes’ duration
- Closed book.
Try a sample paper
ITIL Foundation Syllabus
Download the syllabus to find out more about the content of the ITIL Foundation certification.
Download the syllabus
After earning your ITIL Foundation certificate, you can advance your ITSM career via the range of ITIL Intermediate certifications or the ITIL Practitioner certification. Use our ITSM Careers Path to help you plan your progress.
You can also become an ITIL Member - whether you have taken an ITIL exam or not - allowing you to access a wide range of content to help you pass your exams, to excel in your role and to advance your career, as well as enabling to demonstrate you knowledge via a digital badge.
Passing your ITIL Foundation Exam
The bestselling study aid 'Passing your ITIL Foundation Exam - 2012 Edition' is the ideal companion for students preparing for their ITIL Foundation Exam.
Buy the study guide