08 Jun 2016 12:26
Yes, that's right. The Highlight Report needs to be understandable to all who use it - whether that's the person filling it in or the person using it to get a snapshot of the project at that point.
I also think that the reporting chain should be in a matching format. So, a checkpoint report should be similar enough to a highlight report to enable transfer of information easily without the need to reinvent or reinterpret the information.
Post Options
08 Jun 2016 21:52
Totally agree. All too often I see projects wasting time doing non value add activities copying the same information from one template to another without a single source of truth. My biggest bugbear is where people on complex projects feel the need to exceed the PRINCE2 composition of a business case. I've seen some that exceed 200 pages, a business case regardless if it's a simple or complex, should be between 15-30 pages max. 
Post Options
08 Jun 2016 22:04 Edited on 09 Jun 2016 at 02:10
Another thing to be mindful of, especially with the PRINCE2 templates is how PRINCE2 is perceived by those directing the project. Most importantly is demystifying the misconception that PRINCE2 is documentation heavy - which it is not. As we know, PRINCE2 tells the Tailor the project to the environment. If a project is not applying all 7 principles, themes and processes, then it's not a PRINCE2 project and any omissions need to be managed as a risk.
Post Options
09 Jun 2016 00:06
Absolutely! This is the biggest misconception I am struggling against at the moment - more particularly as part of a contest over whether Agile (DSDM) is better than PRINCE2.
Tailoring PRINCE2 is such a good thing and helps make management of projects appropriate and  effective. This is what makes getting the templates used right so important - and potentially difficult.
Post Options
09 Jun 2016 02:15
I personally do like Agile PM and Agile PgM, almost more than PRINCE2 Agile. The problem I have with PRINCE2 Agile is that the product descriptions in the handbook are exactly the same as the ones in PRINCE2 however there are changes to be made to the PRINCE2 templates to enable PRINCE2 Agile to work i.e. PRINCE2 Agile tells us to include a description of the Minimal Viable Product in terms of Best Case, Expected Case and Worst Case in the business case.
Post Options
09 Jun 2016 11:41
While the PRINCE2 templates are a great start, what's lunfortunately omitted from the repository are those templates and processes to suport effective change control and issue management. This is something to be aware of and action to be completed if you are to successfully implement PRINCE2, let alone embed it.
Post Options
09 Jun 2016 14:34
That's a good reflection, thanks.
Google is also proving to be a remarkably good way of finding other templates and examples of project management documents used for real, in other organisations as part of their day to day work. Whilst they may not be documents I would use, they are good to see.
Post Options
09 Sep 2019 14:56
Peter Rowlstone wrote: That's a good reflection, thanks.
Google is also proving to be a remarkably good way of finding other templates and examples of project management documents used for real, in other organisations as part of their day to day work. Whilst they may not be documents I would use, they are good to see.

Hi,

Simple but effective advice. I'd always try to customize any document you may find but if you want to realy get into it; make the documents yourself and use the excisting ones as a source of inspiration.

Have a nice day,

Pieter
Post Options
10 Jun 2016 01:28
Milvio wrote: I personally do like Agile PM and Agile PgM, almost more than PRINCE2 Agile. The problem I have with PRINCE2 Agile is that the product descriptions in the handbook are exactly the same as the ones in PRINCE2 however there are changes to be made to the PRINCE2 templates to enable PRINCE2 Agile to work i.e. PRINCE2 Agile tells us to include a description of the Minimal Viable Product in terms of Best Case, Expected Case and Worst Case in the business case.

Exactly. It's that sense of not quite working through all the options that troubles me. I think I would also have preferred for it to focus on one framework, rather than describing bits of all of them.
Post Options
09 Jun 2016 15:43
I agree with Peter about the possibilities and importance of tailoring!!!
Post Options
< 1 2 3 ... 5 >
Forum Leaderboard
Our “Leaderboards” are just one way we show off the best and brightest of the AXELOS Community. This is a list of our top users with the highest post counts in the AXELOS Community - select "View the full leaderboard" to find out where you are on the list!