Can you have more than one Project Product Description?
Benjamin Sherrin 10 Jul 2018 09:50

Currently establishing a large ICT project. I have a 'Starting up a phase', however, wanting to know may you have additional Project Product Descriptions i.e. ICT Hardware, Software, etc?

Each of these, I would branch out with specific PDs? 

In short: can you have one PID/Project Brief?, which includes several PPDs?

Thanks in advance. Still new to PRINCE2. 

Post Options
Ric
17 Sep 2018 10:53
I'm going to start out and say that I'm also relatively new Prince 2 so please take the following on that basis, happy to be corrected.

My understanding of this is simply a no, the Project Product Description is an overarching understanding of the project in its entirety with the PD’s describing the individual outputs of the project.

If you feel there is a need for multiple PPD’s you might want to ask whether you’re looking at multiple individual projects and look to governing this under programme management.

Post Options
27 Nov 2018 12:59
Programme Management might be a better fit, but it can be done at Project level. With one PPD, but categorise Product Descriptions into groups. 

Also challenge the natural inclination to align against existing departmental boundaries, as this can create silos within your project.  One approach is to use Benefits Management and work backwards from the desired outcome.  E.g. for a particular benefit to be achieved, might involve the completion of products from across ICT Hardware, Software, etc. If it fits for you, you could have multi-functional products and teams aligned to outcomes instead of fitting to operational organisations.
Post Options
Forum Leaderboard
Our “Leaderboards” are just one way we show off the best and brightest of the AXELOS Community. This is a list of our top users with the highest post counts in the AXELOS Community - select "View the full leaderboard" to find out where you are on the list!