How to apply Prince2 in a non-Prince2 environment?
Alexander Dietz 30 Oct 2018 08:56
I need essentially to manage a sub-project where many people from other places are involved, which is itself part of a much larger project. They do not apply Prince2 - as far as I know no methodology at all. And to enforce Prine2 for the upper project is not possible.

Is it still possible to apply Prince2 in some way without 'knowing' them? I also might have an executive, but neither a senior developer nor a senior user.

Any suggestions how I could proceed?
Post Options
24 Nov 2018 16:04

To me this sounds like you first need to get some context clarified.

Which authority assigned/instructed who to deliver what? The answers to those questions seem critical to starting up.

With apparently so little defined there must be many and great opportunities for a project manager to add value!

Post Options
27 Nov 2018 11:49
PRINCE2® (an acronym for PRojects IN Controlled Environments) is a de facto process-based method for effective project management. Used extensively in UK, PRINCE2® is also widely recognized and used in the private sector also. The PRINCE2® method offers non-proprietorial best practice guidance on project management
Post Options
18 Jan 2019 06:39
Can you explain your question in detail, please ?
Alexander Dietz wrote: I need essentially to manage a sub-project where many people from other places are involved, which is itself part of a much larger project. They do not apply Prince2 - as far as I know no methodology at all. And to enforce Prine2 for the upper project is not possible.

Is it still possible to apply Prince2 in some way without 'knowing' them? I also might have an executive, but neither a senior developer nor a senior user.

Any suggestions on how I could proceed?

Post Options
15 Apr 2019 18:33
I expect your need has been met or expired? Anyway others may drop in to see if there is an answer that suits them.
My experience is using p2 in stealth mode is very easy. The first real question is what is your need or put another way is p2 appropriate?
If what you need to do is build the control environment that creates informmation sets for approvals, and flows status data around then p2 is just what you need. Follow the roles and templaces (Apdx A and C) and don't tell anyone, change the names. Use the guidance in MP / CS / DP for work-package, reports and exception handling.
If what you need is the techniques, tools and steps to build a schedule and budget then p2 really hasn't got much to offer you except confirmation that it tells you they are important. What you'll need are the insights in either or both of agile and PMBoK-Guide. Both of these tell you how to travel the journey from scope and cost and time limits to backlog or baseline and then onward to delivered outputs by monitoring.
P2 is good at establishing the flow. PMBoK and agile good at creating the content of those flows.
and PS - PRINCE2agile is a good blend (and I've an eLearning course if your interested)
Post Options
12 Jun 2019 23:44
Likewise, just dropped in to check the responses.

In my experience, I find that whilst many organisations aspire to use PRINCE2, they tend to mix and match to needs.  Not in the strict 'tailoring' sense either!  In the end, they end up with a hybrid solution.  The number of times I have to keep reminding people that we need to revisit the business case to ensure it still stacks up :)

You don't need to formally adopt PRINCE2 to follow PRINCE2 principles - IMHO.  Of course, you can't call it PRINCE2 in its strictest sense, but then I think we tend to overcomplicate with the imposition of labels.   Where I am working currently, they do not follow PRINCE2 strictly to the letter.  That does not stop me using the various techniques and tools to manage the project in line with the general principles. 
Post Options
Forum Leaderboard
Our “Leaderboards” are just one way we show off the best and brightest of the AXELOS Community. This is a list of our top users with the highest post counts in the AXELOS Community - select "View the full leaderboard" to find out where you are on the list!