A fully remote project manager - 2030 Week Day 3 - PPM
Harri Freeman 14 Dec 2016 09:51
Welcome to day 3 of 2030 week on AXELOS Community!

We've reached the midway point of 2030 week and you could be on track to walk away with a £25 Amazon voucher! It's not over yet though, so let's keep the ball rolling!

Let’s look ahead to 2030 and think about the future of remote working. To take part in today’s challenge, read the scenario below and leave a comment sharing your view on how you this style of working really looking in 10-15 year’s time.

"Imagine being able to fully managed any project, from anywhere and at any time.

You and your team can spread out across the globe working on projects that are being delivered in locations you may have never even been too. Technology and modern working practices allow you to plan, manage and deliver projects from the comfort of your laptop or tablet effortlessly.

Technology such as augmented reality will also allow you to be fully present in all our project meetings, daily stand ups and stakeholder presentations. Wherever you are, you are as good as there in the room. Seamlessly integrated SaaS applications mean that you work across a dozen different projects, for dozen different businesses at one time, your tools are their tools."

What do you think, is this an accurate vision of the future is do you see it as something quite different? Let us know below.

Post Options
14 Dec 2016 11:51

This scenario is likely to be a reality in the next 5 to 10 years, with some adjustment. The ability of a project manager or project member to work at several projects at same time is limited by cognition capacity. Face-to-face meetings and project site walkthrough for conflict resolution, quality control, risk assessment, etc. may be reduced but will never disappear.     

Post Options
14 Dec 2016 11:57
While it's all possible, like any project team, the success of the project will continue to depend on the skills and capabilities of those involved particularly the interactions. 
Post Options
joh
14 Dec 2016 12:07
Maybe, and yet, in the last years, the trend is going the other way, towards co-located teams and with companies in-sourcing vital functions.
Post Options
14 Dec 2016 21:57
Even in today's time Technology is  allowing working remotely very possible. In 2030 this will be the norm, anything less will be dated working environment. 
Post Options
16 Dec 2016 10:21
This is an interesting notion and really takes us into the realm of science fiction.  We see this movies like the Avengers and tv shows like Star Trek.   

Telecommuting, Skype meetings and online messaging tools were supposed to come the norm.  Instead, employees still prefer face-to-face communication and organisations are trying to wrestle with limited office space by reducing cubicles to benches but not permitting employees to work from home due to work health and safety legislation.

I use to have a role which allowed me to work from home using phone, email and a virtual private network.   I miss the freedom and flexibility of working from home and independence of selecting and working on multiple projects. 

However, I'm finding organisations prefer Johnny on the spot and are asking project managers to work longer hours and to agree to staying with an organisation longer term.

If the future described were possible, I'd certainly be in favour of it.
Post Options
19 Dec 2016 07:50
Fully agree. Collaboration technologies will further emerge. Managing projects for sites, we've never been is already reality.
Post Options
Forum Leaderboard
Our “Leaderboards” are just one way we show off the best and brightest of the AXELOS Community. This is a list of our top users with the highest post counts in the AXELOS Community - select "View the full leaderboard" to find out where you are on the list!