The full remote service desk - 2030 Week Day 2 - ITSM
Harri Freeman 13 Dec 2016 09:08
It's Day 2 and we are continuing to present scenarios of what WE think best practice will look like in 2030. Are you on track to win one of the five £25 Amazon Vouchers? Rememer, all you need to do is read the scenario and tell us what you think!

Today we want you to offer up your views on what remote working will look like in the future.

"It’s December 2030 and a grey winter day in London. But that is no problem for Mark because he is sitting in a beach hut in Koh Pi Pi, managing all his service desk tickets from the comfort of, well… wherever he likes!

In this version of the future, connectivity, cloud based software, consumerized services and flexible business models means that IT services can be provided from anywhere in the world and whether it be a customer support call or an annual budget meeting, you are as good as there in the room.

Technology such as augmented reality allows Mark to be present in any workspace, presenting himself in any manner of suitable attire or backdrop. Seamlessly integrated SaaS applications mean that working across a dozen different service desk platforms or infrastructure tools is no issue, so Mark can be working for several customers or organisations at one time. As long as he has his laptop and enough coffee to keep him going, he can truly be in two places at once."

What do you think? Is this a bit too utopian for your liking, or do you see a genuine place for this style of IT work in the future? Let us know below.

Post Options
13 Dec 2016 11:26 Edited on 13 Dec 2016 at 11:28
A few years ago I implemented solutions that meant my Service Desk Analysts could work from anywhere that had an internet connection.  The technology to support this exists today, not in 2030.  By the time we get to 2030 I would expect this to be the norm, not the exception. 

The issues I see are more around the lack of trust from IT Security at the moment.  One organisation I spoke to recently doesn't allow their SDA's to access remotely because they would be able to change the password of senior people and access areas they shouldn't.  My response is that they should recruit and reward SDA's to a level where any trust is two way.

I also wonder about tha 'augmented reality'.  We need to start to accept that 'proper business attire' is not important.  Nor is 'bing in the office'.  Again I think a lot of this is about trust.  I am sure we have all heard people who think that 'Working from Home' is a euphanism for 'a day off'.

So I support the utopia that this seems, but I don't feel it should be utopian, it should be everyday.
Post Options
13 Dec 2016 18:48
Utopia?   No really.  Remote support is already in use for areas with internet connections.  As time goes by, the internet connections will only get better.  Remote support provides a more flexible staffing level model for both management and staff.  Using a remote staff for managing a service desk will provide company cost savings as the facility office desk and office phone will no longer needed.  Additionally, it will help to mitigate the over crowded roads, team member tardiness due to traffic, and team member absentism.  However, the remote team member will need to be schooled in what is expected of them during their remote shift so that they do not abuse the system.  As remote staffing becomes the norm, working away from home will be very odd indeed.
Post Options
15 Dec 2016 02:00
I agree with Ian and Dorothy that the scenario described is neither utopian nor futuristic.  It exists today.  In 2010 the organisation I worked for had a virtual service desk, physically located in three different cities. One of those was subjected to a major earthquake which forced them to evacuate their building.  Calls were picked up at the other locations and, aside from a longer than usual time to answer calls, service continued.  Staff from the affected centre were able to go home, check on their families, friends and homes, and in many cases were then able to log back in remotely and continue providing service.

For the last 5 years I have worked remotely, only going to an office to deliver face-to-face service to my customers.  I imagine that face-to-face or onsite services will still be a part of IT in 2030.  There will still be some locally based hardware that may still fail and need to be repaired on site.  But yes, more and more will be able to be serviced remotely, or swapped out without the need for in-site service.

I agree with Ian that security of access for remote service will become a greater issue however.  And I still find the need to talk to people face-to-face.  This is particularly true when trying to understand and refine requirements, or when brainstorming new ideas. 

Post Options
Forum Leaderboard
Our “Leaderboards” are just one way we show off the best and brightest of the AXELOS Community. This is a list of our top users with the highest post counts in the AXELOS Community - select "View the full leaderboard" to find out where you are on the list!