Day 1: Who owns YOUR Professional Development?
Harri Freeman 19 Sep 2016 11:10 Edited on 19 Sep 2016 at 11:17
Hi all!

Thanks for taking part in Professional Development week! Every day this week, we will be hosting a new debate to take part in, all focused on YOUR professional development.

To get us started, here's today's statement for you to discuss

'Who owns YOUR Professional Development?'

It is your responsibility to identify your areas for development and propose what training and education you need to make up your skill gaps. The role of you manager is to ensure that the professional development path you have chosen fits well within the objectives and skills balance of the team.

Is it right for employees to be solely responsible for their own develoment? Let us know your view in the debate below!

Post Options
19 Sep 2016 11:55 Edited on 19 Sep 2016 at 12:05
You, and you alone should be accountable for career development and training. There is no one better placed than yourself to determine what you want to do or where you want to be.  A performance and appraisal is a great mechanism to identify your next steps, which hopefully your line manager can assist with.  It's not only appropriate for an employee to take responsibility for career development but essential especially when career opportunities arise.
Post Options
19 Sep 2016 21:09
Milvio agree with your comments.   I've had team members in the past that would not give any thought to career development and then be outraged at their own lack of development.   These tend to the be the same people though that when presented with an opportunity to develop a new skill through their current role  expect a monatry return for doing it rather than taking the chance.

Ive always made a point of being open about my own development plans and where I want to progress to.  As a result I have allways been lucky and had the support of managers that I have worked for to allow me to progress and develop.

Post Options
19 Sep 2016 11:59
As it comes for professional development I think that owner can be only one - yourself.
Each of us knows himself/herselft best and is aware of own needs and interests in development. Only question is if it is in line with current company needs.
Approach I use is to identify my vision on professional development and propose it to my manager. Then we discuss them and make an agreement as for direction that we will be heading.

Situation will be quite different with people just starting their careers - they will initially need managers support to guide them and show them possibilities. After some time and with basic knowledge already gained they will be able to take ownership themselves.
Post Options
19 Sep 2016 12:28

I believe you own your professional development.  Managers may believe they own it, but the reality is it’s your career. 

Professional development can take many forms:

• training, seminars and workshops
  • job shadowing
  • mentoring - as a mentee or a mentor
  • volunteering
  • professional association membership and participation
  • acting in a more senior role
  • seeking another job in the same field

Many of these can be performed outside of the work environment and do not require support from your manager.  As an employee you may need management support for internal or funded training, job shadowing and acting in a senior role.  If your manager is not supportive of professional development, you may need to seek it outside of the workplace or in another workplace.

Ultimately, you own your professional development.   No one is going build your career but you.

Post Options
19 Sep 2016 12:42
My opinion is a little bit different.  I agree that the main responsible is oneself so the person needs to be proactive but I also believe that the role of your manager is really important since the knows the gaps needed for the company and knows you.  Therefore for me it should be a combination the employee should be proactive, looking for oportunities, and flexible, in the sense that sometimes engaging in courses or career development activities is time consuming and implies a personal sacrifice, and on the other hand the employer or the manager should become a mentor and a facilitator.  A mentor in the sense of point out ineteresting capacitiesto be developed in accordance with the business interests and a facilitator in the sense of finding the way that these activities or others propossed by the employee can be adpated to the work.
Best regards
Post Options
19 Sep 2016 12:47
A very straight answer to this is “Individual” himself/herself owns the responsibility of Professional Development. I am a strong believer of “Will Power”. However line managers/peers can help individual to identify gaps in skill. One must ensure the feedback obtained from others should be analyzed (Selected, eliminated, prioritized) and converted to development goal of the year/phase.

Having said all these for creating operational excellence in organizational managers/leaders must be responsible to create professional development plan for their team to face current/future challenges and long term growth plan for individual within organization.

Post Options
19 Sep 2016 12:47
SOLEY is always true.  You are accountable for your learning.  Leadership needs to then work with you to define, agree and allow you to learn.  This learning must meet the needs of the person but also the needs of the orgaisantion. Learning should always be frequent not just formal. 

So yyes you are accountable (solely) but without guidance and support, you will not achieve your goal.
Post Options
19 Sep 2016 15:28
I agree with Daniel guidance and support from your employer is really important and when I saysupport this also comprises putting into practice what you are learning at the working place; sometimes we learn so many things that we later on we don't have the oppportunity to use and that is a waste of time!!
Post Options
19 Sep 2016 13:06
As far as I'm concerned , in both way we can fill the profesional gap. While working in an organazation we come across many circumstances which will teach us that you are not up to the mark. The same way superior can also point out if we lack the professionalism in work. In the first case, we learn from our mistake but this could take some time. In the second case, superior can highlight where we lack the professionalism and he can mould you to bring ourself up to the standard. So this is a combained effort that both us and superior have to put together.  
Post Options
1 2 ... 5 >
Forum Leaderboard
Our “Leaderboards” are just one way we show off the best and brightest of the AXELOS Community. This is a list of our top users with the highest post counts in the AXELOS Community - select "View the full leaderboard" to find out where you are on the list!