09 Jun 2016 11:37
Business and IT executives think about agility differently. For IT, agility is technology-focused, while non-IT leaders look for broad organisational and leadership qualities that are difficult to implement. To understand agility, we need first to define what that means: Business agility is the quality that allows an enterprise to embrace market and operational changes as a matter of routine. An agile enterprise is change-proficient, whether that change is driven by market trends or is internal and operational. It responds quickly to both threats and opportunities, and executes change in a sustainable way. Agile, on the other hand, is the mechanism that allows businesses to have agility by implementing incrementally, and more frequently. It does this through the Minimum Viable Product concept, which is maximum amount of learning for the least amount of effort.
Post Options
19 Sep 2020 06:23
The way i learnt about Business Agility is about how the Enterprise is ability to delivery the most value to the customer with least resistance - hence being responsive to changing customer needs efficiently. Agile on the other hand is a focus on product development based on 3 aspects - development of a minimum viable product (and incorporating design thinking principles including validation to further develop it), ways of working (use of sprints - limiting time and cost and making scope flexible) and Lean Principles (removing waste through the use of retrospectives).

Post Options
04 Dec 2019 15:17
I too would like to receive any white papers or documents explaining the difference.
Post Options
09 Jun 2016 15:28
In my opinion agility is a mindset which allows organisations or people to act in agile way.
Also you cant "do" agile, you can implement agile ways in your doings. 
Another interesting question would be "Can we be more or less agile?" How can you measure agility in your company?
Post Options
06 Jun 2017 07:45 Edited on 13 Jun 2017 at 13:43
No one cares that your development teams are Agile. They can plan and estimate and retro their hearts out, and it doesn't matter.

The only thing that matters is Agility - the ability of the organization as a whole to tightly connect strategic decisions to delivery to customers.
Post Options
09 Jun 2016 16:54
Great posts from everyone discussing the true levels that differentiate Agile versus Agility. 

Can this be summarized down to the following: 
Agile vs. Agility  : Doing vs. Being (agile)

Post Options
10 Jun 2016 01:55
Leif R. Thomas wrote: Great posts from everyone discussing the true levels that differentiate Agile versus Agility. 

Can this be summarized down to the following: 
Agile vs. Agility  : Doing vs. Being (agile)

Yes, maybe it could. There certainly seems to be a sense of agility being something (an attitude?) that is embedded throughout an organisation. As opposed to just being a method of delivering projects.
Post Options
10 Jun 2016 10:28
Agility is more than just attitude, its about an organistion's ability to be flexibile and adapt to changing business conditions such as disruptive techologies. Being Agile, on the other hand, is definitely about attitude. Like the quote, "Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic". As development teams become more familar with each other through self-organisation, they can deliver more frequently (increased velocity) and tackle more difficult tasks. Hence, the difference between doing agile and being agile.
Post Options
10 Jun 2016 16:31
I'm getting quite saturated with everything having to be agile. Even the coffee machine claims to be agile nowadays.

Agile vs agility: it's just words, isn't it? Being agile or posessing agility: same difference?

I believe there is merit in the agile manifesto and I like the way PRINCE2 Agile allows for the incorporation of agile product delivery.

But discussions on the perceived difference between "agile" and "agility" seem far fetched to me.

So, is there a difference that is in any sense whatsoever meaningfull ?
Post Options
11 Jun 2016 02:21
Hi Robin, agree on the sentiment. For information on the difference between Agility and Agile, please read my earlier posts.
Post Options
< 1 2 3 >
Forum Leaderboard
Our “Leaderboards” are just one way we show off the best and brightest of the AXELOS Community. This is a list of our top users with the highest post counts in the AXELOS Community - select "View the full leaderboard" to find out where you are on the list!