Would this slip by? - The Phishing Hall of Infamy - Day 1
Harri Freeman 24 Jul 2017 09:10
Hi all,

Welcome to Day 1 of the Phishing Hall of Fame!

We’ve all had a phishing email or 10, and we all have a story about “that email” that was so obvious, so hilarious, even so obnoxious, that it’s worth remembering and sharing. Well, now the time has come to retrieve those emails for the education and, we hope, the entertainment of others!

Each day this week, we’ll have a challenge for you all focused on those emails we all keep an eye out for, whether they’re unbelievably transparent or incredibly convincing.

Today’s challenge involves a phishing email of our very own (below), can you spot the hidden hints that give it away as a fake? There’s more than you might think, so take a careful look. On top of that, there’s a second challenge today: let us know the funniest phishing email you’ve ever received, be careful not to give away any personal details, but we’re challenging you to make us laugh with your examples of criminal incompetence.

Here’s the phishing email:
“Dears [email protected],
We’ve detected some suspicios activity on your account involving sums in excesses of $5000.
Please click on the link below to log in to your account and reset your password
RESET (https://www.notaphisherman.org)
Thank you
Harri
Yourbank Online Executive Managing Partner”

After you’ve completed today’s challenge, remember to head over to https://www.AXELOS.com/Phishing-HOI to complete today’s quiz presented by RESILIA® Frontline on the right hand side of the page.

Finally, just for fun, here’s the worst dubious email I’ve ever received:   

“hello, compliment of the day to you. My name is Miss morgan, I came across your profile on facebook and it really impressed me a lots, I took interest on it . if you don’t mind I will like to know you much better. Get back to me as soon as you read my mail, for further communication, GOD bless you, while I wait for your reply, take care. Best regard Miss morgan.”

Remember if you want to post your responses to our phishing email, try not to read any other responses beforehand!

Post Options
24 Jul 2017 12:31
Misspellings
greeting is an email address instead of a name
no logo
first name only in salutation
no disclaimer

Post Options
24 Jul 2017 12:38
Looks like you picked a few of them out Robin. Any dubious emails you've saved over the years that you could show us?

Also, just a question- I read recently a concept that some phishing emails contain misspellings as a way to filter out more informed users and ensure that only uninformed users will continue through the process and end up being scammed or tricked or whatever the purpose may be. Any thoughts on that? Do you think the misspellings and mistakes are generally intentional?
Post Options
28 Jul 2017 09:38
Yes. international misspellings that matches with popular words e.g paypal to pay.pal or miscrosoft to micro-soft - interntion trap :)
Post Options
28 Jul 2017 10:06
...using popular names
...using $ win
and the lost goes on... 

Post Options
24 Jul 2017 12:46
·       The sense of urgency – most phishing emails demand immediate action i.e. $5000 will get one’s attention to act quickly.
·       Generic salutation – Phishing emails generally star with a Dear customer or customer’s email  instead of the user’s name.
·       Phony links – the links might show something else but will actually direct to a different location. Phishing emails use various methods to hide the actual URLs.
·       Typographical errors i.e. “suspicios”, “Dears”
·       Attempt to gather login credentials on the Phony link.

Post Options
25 Jul 2017 13:25
Yes. It also uses popular website names of financial and ecomarce related .. some thing like "Amezon returned your orders..."
Post Options
28 Jul 2017 10:03
on globe the physical needs,wants and demands  of the people not satisfied...  Phishing mails- Phishers uses these related mail to trap others
Post Options
24 Jul 2017 13:02 Edited on 24 Jul 2017 at 13:03
Hi!
Odd use of email address for salutation, misspelling words like suspicios - now that is suspicious. A direct link that looks generic for password reset and is not relatable with the supposed origin of the email.

From time to time I get emails that urge me to click on a link but just don't have any.. Other times, the mail formatting is akward and does not feel right.

Additionally I do check a suspect mail just to know what they are up to. The best ones are those that prompt the reader to tke action in order to help a poor soul recovering back a huge amount of money by sending a "small" amount.

Até já,
Rui
Post Options
25 Jul 2017 13:30
Yes. now a days I get mails from my own mail id ... to do something and same time it will send using my mail id to my contacts to click here to see .... these kind of mail hard to catch - only way I can think of is judge suspicicios by usage of words in mail or nature of mail - like nothing except hyperlink 
Post Options
1 2 >
Forum Leaderboard
Our “Leaderboards” are just one way we show off the best and brightest of the AXELOS Community. This is a list of our top users with the highest post counts in the AXELOS Community - select "View the full leaderboard" to find out where you are on the list!