If you’re intending to take the Practitioner qualification, a little groundwork while studying for the Foundation exam will pay dividends later on.
The Practitioner exam is open book, meaning you can consult the manual during the exam. The only book you can take into the Practitioner exam is Managing Successful Projects with PRINCE2, which should be given to you as part of your course pack. The manual is jam-packed with information. Get to know your way around it - it will save time in the exam.
Prepare your manual
- Mark up your book with written notes, post-it notes and a highlighter pen
- It’s OK to write in the manual. A clear note added to the text or a figure can help you understand the concepts
- You cannot insert pieces of paper with additional information into your book for the Practitioner exam and the invigilator will check this
- Use a highlighter pen to mark-up salient sections of the manual
- Post-it notes are essential. Though you can’t use them to add information it’s OK to mark each chapter with a tab, colour coded to designate:
This might seem over the top, but if you can save five minutes during the exam, that time can be spent answering questions.
- Guiding principles
Don’t forget the appendices!
The glossary can be a great source of quick information and definition.
The appendices of the manual are essential. Make sure you know where you can find the right information. Pay particular attention to:
- Appendix A: Product Description outlines
- Appendix C: Roles and responsibilities.
A manual that’s been read thoroughly and made easier to navigate with your own annotations and reminders will serve you well when it comes to taking the Practitioner exam.
Read the first and second posts in the series:
PRINCE2 5th Edition Foundation Exam Tips.
PRINCE2 5th Edition Foundation Key Facts: “the Magnificent Sevens”
Read our ITIL Foundation Top Tips
ITIL® Foundation Exam Top Tips - Part 1 - How to Prepare
ITIL® Foundation Exam Top Tips - Part 2: During the Exam
ITIL® Foundation Exam Top Tips - Part 3: After the Exam