ITIL 4 Foundation – 7 tips to prepare
October 8, 2019 |
3 min read
Taking an ITIL® 4 Foundation course and sitting the Foundation exam is a great way to start your ITIL journey. Here are AXELOS’ top tips to help you get the most from the course and pass your exam:
- Read around the topic before you start. It will help you hit the ground running once the course begins. There are plenty of sources of interesting and relevant content (including our Foundation book and the AXELOS content hub!), so dig deep to find what works for you.
- Ask questions during the course. Lots of questions. Ask again if it’s still unclear. Understanding the concepts will help you to answer the questions that could otherwise trip you up in the exam. After all, you need to demonstrate good understanding of the content, not just a good memory!
- Don’t worry if you don’t understand something straightaway. Sometimes the concept will sink in as the class works its way through the course. Sometimes, the material isn’t covered till the very end.
- Make lots of notes, especially on concepts you find difficult. It will help you clarify your understanding and flag up ideas you haven’t entirely grasped (so you can ask more questions).
- Use real world examples. Don’t be afraid to ask how ITIL 4 relates to your workplace experience. Your instructor is likely to use real world examples as well; talking about your own experience is always encouraged and helps your fellow course members. But during the exam you need to remember to answer questions from an ITIL perspective, not from your personal experience!
- You will get the chance to sit a sample paper. Don’t overthink it, but make sure you read each question carefully, so you answer what is being asked. Work through the questions you got wrong with the group until you understand where you made your mistake. Try the ITIL 4 app if you’d like more practice with exam questions!
- Don’t be disheartened if you find the questions difficult. They are designed to challenge you and target different levels of difficulty. You will have the chance to go over the topics you struggle with before the exam. But be wary of changing answers during the exam, as gut instinct is often right. Only change an answer if you are sure you made a mistake.
What to do after you passed the exam?
Joining the AXELOS community gives you access to a wealth of free guidance, including white papers, blog posts, and case studies. Also, follow AXELOS on social media, such as our Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube channels, to see the latest news and developments of ITIL and the rest of our Global Best Practice portfolio.
Passing the ITIL 4 Foundation Exam is a great start to your journey toward becoming an ITIL Master. Look out for our upcoming courses for ITIL Managing Professional.