P3O® Practitioner Project Office Certification
Principles, processes and techniques to help deliver projects or programmes within an organization or department.
Purpose of the P3O Practitioner Certification
The purpose of the Practitioner certification is to confirm whether you have achieved sufficient knowledge and understanding of the P3O guidance to design, implement, manage or work within any component office of a P3O model.
A successful candidate will have an overall understanding of the elements, roles, functions and tools and techniques deployed in a generalized P3O model. Additional training may be required if you are intending to take up one of the specialist roles in the P3O organization.
The qualification is aimed at those wanting to take an active role in any of the offices described in the P3O model. While it is particularly suited to candidates fulfilling the management, generic or functional roles described in Appendix A of the P3O guide, it will also be relevant others who see the P3O model as a framework for a career path.
To take the P3O Practitioner examination, individuals must hold a current P3O Foundation certificate.
Booking An Exam Where Pre-Requisites Apply
Please ensure that before you book an exam where a prerequisite is required, that you hold verified proof of completion of that prerequisite (i.e. certificate, or letter from AXELOS or former Examination Institute confirming you hold a current certification). Your examination results will be withheld until the correct prerequisite is provided to PeopleCert. If you are unable to provide the required prerequisite, then you will need to successfully complete the prerequisite before the higher-level exam result is released.
P3O Practitioner Examination Format
For the 2013 edition
- Objective testing
- Four questions of 20 marks each - 80 marks in total
- 150 minutes’ duration 40 marks required to pass (out of 80 available) – 50%
- Open book exam. Candidates may use the official printed hard copy of the Portfolio, Programme and Project Offices: P3O guide. The manual may be annotated and tabulated but no sticky notes and loose leaf papers containing additional notes will be allowed.
For the 2008 edition
- Objective testing
- Seven questions per paper, 70 marks available in total
- 35 marks required to pass (out of 70 available) - 50%
- Two-and-a-quarter hours’ duration
- Open-book exam. Candidates may use the official printed hard copy of the Portfolio, Programme and Project Offices: P3O guide is allowed. The manual may be annotated and tabulated but no sticky notes and loose leaf papers containing additional notes will be allowed.
Due to the impact of the coronavirus, from 13 April 2020 to 31 December 2021 individuals are now permitted to print PDFs for exams and use PDFs or official e-books on a second e-device (portable digital devices such as smartphones, tablets and laptops) during open book exams.
Certification Expiry Date
The P3O Practitioner certification will expire after 5 years. In order to maintain your qualification and ensure there are no gaps in your Practitioner status, you should retake the P3O Practitioner Exam before the expiry date.
Starting 2023, all PeopleCert Global Best Practice certifications will need to be renewed after 3 years. Looking to renew your certification? Find out more.
P3O Practitioner Re-Registration Examination
All P3O Practitioners are required to sit an additional re-registration examination within three to five years of their original certification in order to retain their accreditation. Taking the re-registration examination also enables you to to demonstrate your commitment to Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and that your knowledge of P3O remains current.
If you have only passed the Foundation examination, you are not required to re-register.
P3O Practitioner Re-Registration Examination Format
- Two questions, with a scenario background and appendices
- Each of the two questions is worth 20 marks
- An overall score of 20 out of a possible 40 is required to pass – 50%
- One hour 30 minutes’ duration
- Open book exam. Only the official printed hard copy of the Portfolio, Programme and Project Offices: P3O guide is allowed.
- The official manual may be annotated and tabulated but no sticky notes and loose leaf papers containing additional notes will be allowed.
During Open Book examinations you have the option to use your Official Core Guidance Paperback Book, if you have one, or your Official Core Guidance eBook. Learn more here.