Axelos announces discontinuation of ITIL v3
January 6, 2021
Following the successful full launch of the new and updated ITIL® 4, Axelos has taken the decision to discontinue the previous version of the world’s leading certification in IT service management, ITIL v3, by the end of 2021.
Axelos is taking a phased approach to discontinuing ITIL v3, allowing customers sufficient time to transition to the latest version of the ITIL framework. Customers will not be able to purchase training and examinations from the 1st July 2021, followed by the discontinuation of the Intermediate examinations on 1 January 2022.
Customers will no longer be able to purchase training or examinations for ITIL v3 after the 1 January 2022, although they will still have another six months to book the ITIL 4 Managing Professional Transition examination. The ITIL 4 Managing Professional Transition module allows practitioners to transition to the ITIL 4 Managing Professional designation when they have accumulated enough certification credits to qualify for the transition examination. *
The confirmed dates for discontinuing ITIL v3 are as follows:
- ITIL v3 Foundation (English) to be discontinued as of 1 July 2021
- ITIL v3 Intermediates (English) to be discontinued as of 1 Jan 2022
- ITIL 4 Managing Professional Transition examination (English) to be discontinued as of 1 July 2022
- Translated guidance and examinations discontinuation dates will be announced on a case-by-case basis based on the corresponding product release dates for the ITIL 4 higher modules, allowing a minimum of six months’ advance notice of any changes.
Margo Leach, Chief Product Officer at Axelos, said: ”We have seen a huge demand for ITIL 4 since launch and the feedback has been really positive. I’m pleased to say that a significant number of ITIL v3 experts have already taken advantage of the ITIL 4 Managing Professional Transition examination which we launched last year.
“We are announcing the discontinuation now to ensure that anyone still on their ITIL v3 journey has enough time to complete their Intermediate exams, so they are able to accumulate the 17 credits required to sit the ITIL 4 Managing Professional Transition examination.”
ITIL 4 training courses, including Foundation and the Managing Professional and Strategic Leader streams, can be booked via any of Axelos’ accredited training partners.
ITIL 4 official guidance publications are available for purchase via Axelos’ publishing partner TSO.
* To take the ITIL 4 Manging Professional Transition module, all candidates must be at Expert level or have a minimum of 17 v3 credits.