P3M3® Maturity Model
P3M3® Maturity Model
Axelos released P3M3® v3.0 through our Axelos Consulting Partner (ACP) network.
P3M3 v3.0 includes Full assessments in addition to the existing Self-assessments.
There are two types of P3M3 Self-assessment, standard and enhanced and there are two levels, diagnostic and certified, for the full assessment.
Full assessments are currently only available through a consulting partner. For further information, see our list of ACPs.
Using P3M3 in your orgaqnization
P3M3 Self Assessments
There are two levels for self-assessment of your organization:
- Standard self-assessment: This is a free one-month trial assessment that allows your organization to determine its likely level of maturity. This assessment cannot be used for baselining purposes.
- Enhanced self-assessment: This is a subscription-based assessment you can use to determine your organization’s maturity level, but you can also record your organizations’ assessment for future comparison, allowing you to demonstrate improvements over time (baselining). This will allow you to compare your organization's performance with that of other organizations (benchmarking). A report showing typical practices for organizations at five maturity levels will also be generated, to help the organization recognize them.
Axelos Consulting Partners can be used to help conduct a P3M3 self-assessment as a means to overcome the bias inherent in any self-assessment approach. These are usually referred to as facilitated self-assessments and aim to provide:
- An understanding of the likely current level of maturity in portfolio, programme and/or project management.
- A snapshot of the most likely maturity level for comparison with previous or future assessments.
The self-assessments are supported by a further self-assessment users guide.
To subscribe for either of the P3M3 Self-assessments, please contact email@example.com - +44 (0) 1603 696016.
P3M3 Full Assessments
Axelos released P3M3 v3.0 in June 2015 in response to user feedback and requests to increase the scope and diagnostic capacity of the previous assessment.
The model has not fundamentally changed as it is still composed of seven perspectives and has five levels of maturity across the three sub-models, but it is now supplemented with two further assessments:
- A diagnostic assessment - to support organizations with their improvement planning.
- A certified assessment - for organizations who want to demonstrate their delivery maturity.
Features of the P3M3 v3.0 Full assessment
The Full assessment covers:
- Commercial activities – this has been divided into two aspects looking either up or down the supply chain, depending on the organization being assessed. One or both may be used but selection will be determined by the organization's business model. The two aspects are:
- Commissioning – the focus here will be on the commercial management actives around procurement of a supplier to deliver the project or programme components.
- Selling– the focus here is on commercial management activities around bidding for work in response to a tender.
- Asset management – generally, but not always, tangible assets will be produced by the project or programme and these must be protected right throughout the whole lifecycle from design to decommissioning.
- Behavioural impacts – looks at how the organizational energy can be brought to bear on the project or programme to achieve the best outcomes. It looks at the aspects like the motivation, prioritization and individual commitment to success.
- Extended diagnostic capacity –allows users to understand root causes of problems and to identify solutions.
How to apply for a P3M3 Full assessment for your organization
P3M3 Full assessments can only be carried out by Axelos Consulting Partners (ACPs).
See our AXELOS Consulting Partners section for full details of the scheme and how to find a consulting partner.
How to recognize a P3M3 ACP
Axelos awards digital badges to all licensed P3M3 consulting partners. These badges contain metadata relating to their specific certifications and can be clicked to verify validity. You can recognize an ACP by this badge.