For 2017 AXELOS updated the PRINCE2® guidance and launched new Foundation and Practitioner examinations. Together, these form the PRINCE2 2017 update and represent the first major revision of PRINCE2 since 2009.
This important update reinforces PRINCE2’s unrivalled reputation for best practice in project management. As ever, the focus is on what makes projects successful.
Order Managing Successful Projects with PRINCE2 2017 Edition from the AXELOS Store.
What are the main changes?
AXELOS published an updated edition of the PRINCE2 guidance in May 2017. The new Foundation and Practitioner exams are available from 10 July 2017. This new version of PRINCE2 affirms the method’s established approach to project management, with its overall structure of seven principles, themes and processes.
The main changes to the guidance are characterized by an emphasis on:
- tailoring PRINCE2 to the needs of organizations and project environments;
- the principles that underpin PRINCE2;
- clarifying the link between the themes and principles;
- the restructuring of the ‘Themes’ guidance to accommodate specific examples of tailoring;
- the practical application of the method and guidance, with numerous examples, hints and tips;
- maintaining your certification through PRINCE2 Membership.
PRINCE2 has always been grounded in real life-experience. The PRINCE2 2017 Update, which consolidates a wealth of knowledge gained in the workplace, can be trusted to provide practical, authoritative and relevant guidance to anyone managing a project in today’s environment.
Why has AXELOS updated PRINCE2?
Evolutions in business practices over the past decade have prompted this thorough update of PRINCE2. It reflects expert feedback from PRINCE2 practitioners who successfully apply the method in today’s dynamic working environment, where new technologies constantly change the game, customers and stakeholders continually raise their expectations, and where there is ever-growing pressure to achieve more with less.
AXELOS took the decision to refresh PRINCE2 to further enable anyone managing a project to get the best from PRINCE2 and to achieve success for their organization.
What does the update mean for me?
AXELOS has compiled an extensive FAQ document about the update. Practitioners holding a current certificate will not be required to recertify to the 2017 version, although we would highly recommend that they familiarize themselves with the new material. This can be best achieved through purchasing the new publication, or signing up to AXELOS membership.
Register for an AXELOS community account to receive the latest information and updates about PRINCE2 2017.
PRINCE2 Membership included with all PRINCE2 2017 Practitioner Exams
All candidates that sit a PRINCE2 2017 exam are eligible to claim one year’s PRINCE2 Membership. Membership is one way in which candidates can maintain their PRINCE2 2017 Practitioner certification, and by including membership with the exam AXELOS is making it easier for candidates to stay up-to-date.
Maintaining your PRINCE2 Practitioner Certification
Your PRINCE2 Practitioner certificate is valid for three years. At the end of the three years you will need to either re-sit the Practitioner exam or you can maintain your certificate through membership. To remain current through membership you must meet the following criteria within the three-year period:
- Join membership within three months of passing your exam and remain in membership for the three year period by renewing the subscription each year.
- Maintain the PRINCE2 digital badge which will be awarded as part of membership for the three year period. Candidates will need to record 20 CPD points each year, in the prescribed categories, for the badge to be extended on renewal.
By satisfying the above criteria you will be issued a new certificate that is valid for a further three years.
How to activate your PRINCE2 Membership
Once you pass your exam your Examination Institute (EI) will transfer your details to appear on AXELOS’ Successful Candidate Register. You will need to opt-in to appear on this register, which you can do through your EI. AXELOS will email you directly with an invitation to activate your membership and instructions to claim your digital badge. If you have sat a PRINCE2 Practitioner 2017 exam and haven’t received your invitation to join please email [email protected]
Why should you choose PRINCE2 Membership?
Membership provides you with a flexible way to keep your certification up-to-date that takes you beyond your exam and supports you throughout your career. There are also lots of additional benefits to joining PRINCE2 Membership, these include:
- Access to the latest best practices across our PPM portfolio
- Content to help you progress into programme management through our MSP certification
- PRINCE2 templates and toolkits to help you apply best practices in the workplace
- Project management software to help you manage your projects
- Exclusive access to practical guidance, white papers and discussion papers.
Beyond year one your membership fee will be £50 plus VAT per annum.
Find out more about AXELOS Membership – www.axelos.com/membership.
Read our Membership FAQs